Nursing School Edition #2
Hypercarbia is defined as the increase of carbon dioxide within the bloodstream. Another name that might be used instead is Hypercapnia. This can be caused due to hyperventilation or not being able to breathe properly.
Some of the symptoms that might be seen are:
- Drowsiness or the inability to focus
- Flushed looking skin
- Headaches and feeling disoriented
- Feeling short of breath or fatigued
If feeling abnormal seek medical treatment or consult your physician.
American Gods by Neil Gaiman was definitely an interesting book. It was recommended to me by my boyfriend Chris and I’m glad he told me about it. Without spoiling anything, this book follows a man named Mr. Wednesday and a man named Shadow. Their paths intertwine and Shadow finds himself questioning certain things about the world. There is mystery, thrills and craziness. The book is categorized as a fantasy/horror fiction, more fantasy than horror.
I had received this book from Chris as a gift and it took me forever to pick it up and read it. Mainly due to the fact of not making time for myself to read and being busy with work and life. I finally was able to finish it in May of 2021 and I just wanted to read more. While reading, what I like to do is take note of words that I don’t know. This makes me diversify my vocabulary and just educate myself a little more on my own.
If you are looking for an interesting book to read, than look no further this is the one. You can find it HERE.
Words that I didn’t know, and their meanings. This is the order that I came across them as I was reading the book:
- Oubliettes – a dungeon with an opening only at the top.
- Recidivism – a tendency to relapse into a previous condition or behavior.
- Archetypal – the original pattern or model of which things of the type are copies.
- Ornithologist – a branch of zoology dealing with birds.
- Perforce – by force of circumstances or of necessity.
- Impecunious – having very little or no money usually habitually.
- Avarice – excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain.
- Prestidigitation – sleight of hand. A cleverly executed trick or deception.
- Gesticulating – to make gestures when speaking.
- Omertà – code of silence, usually about criminal activity.
- Kobold – a gnome in German folklore inhabits underground places.
These definitions come from Merriam-Webster Dictionary. If you enjoyed what I had to say about this book, you should give it a read. Neil Gaiman is a fantastic author. What book are you reading now? Any book recommendations, leave them below in the comments. 😃
“What I say is, a town isn’t a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it’s got a bookstore, it knows it’s not foolin’ a soul.”
― Neil Gaiman, American Gods